Most states, counties or cities require periodic jurisdictional inspections of commercial boilers or pressure vessels in accordance with the National Board Inspection Code. Inspections are performed to ensure that equipment is compliant with all jurisdictional regulations, but requirements can vary.
The law or regulations may also require a certificate, issued by the local jurisdiction that attests the equipment complies with these requirements.
If you answer “yes” to any of the following questions, you may need an inspection:
- Do you have any heating or process boilers at your location?
- Do you have any large (200,000 Btuh) water heaters?
- Do you have any pressure vessels at your location, such as commercial air tanks and hot water tanks?
- Do you have any air conditioning/refrigeration at your location? (This does not include household refrigerators/freezers or window air conditioners.)
HSB inspectors are familiar with the rules and requirements for jurisdictional inspections in your location. HSB customers can contact our Inspection Hot Line toll free at +1 (800) 333-4677 (+1 (800) 333-INSP), or contact your state boiler authority for more specific information.
The National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors compiles a Synopsis of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Laws, Rules and Regulations. For more information about the National Board and its Synopsis, click here.
How do I request an inspection?
HSB customers can contact our Inspection Hot Line, toll-free at +1 (800) 333-4677 (+1 (800) 333-INSP), between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday.
Please have the following information available when you call:
- Contact name
- HSB policy number or property policy number
- Location address
- Phone number
- Certificate expiration dates (if any)
If you call after hours, leave your name, policy number, phone number and the best time to call you the next business day.
You may also complete HSB's online Inspection Request Form.