Last updated: November 8, 2019
About us and scope
Please be advised that depending on the nature of your relationship with us, the Site(s) that you use, or the jurisdiction in which you are located may have supplemental or different privacy policies which apply to your specific use. You are advised to review the privacy policies made available on each of the Site(s) that you use, as well as any other privacy policies, notices, or statements provided by us to you.
Our contact information
The Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company
Attn: Corporate Communications
One State Street
Hartford, CT 06102-5024
Date we collect and how we use it
Data collected automatically
When you access the Site(s), we use automatic data collection technologies to collect your IP address, browser information (such as type, version, location and carrier), operating systems information, referral URL information, network information, user location, login dates and times, language preferences, access information, and information about how and when you use the Site(s) (e.g., page visits and views, link clicks, etc.). We collect this data through cookies, server logs, and other technologies, such as web beacons.
While you are online, your computer saves “cookies.” A “cookie” is a small file, typically of letters and numbers, that is saved to your device or your browser’s memory. Cookies contain information about your visit to the Site(s) and serve to make our Site(s) more user-friendly, effective and secure.
Some of the cookies that we use are “session cookies,” which are automatically deleted as soon as you leave the Site(s). Other cookies remain on your device until you delete them, which allows us to recognize your browser the next time you visit. Cookies that remain on your device may allow your browser to load previously viewed pages faster.
We often save cookies and analyze them. This allows us to improve the usefulness of our Site(s) and helps us provide the best possible experience. These cookies do not reveal your specific identity (e.g., your name), but may include information related to your device or location (e.g., your IP address). We perform anonymous statistical analyses of our internet presence (e.g., tracking the number of times you visit the Site(s), tracking the number of visitors to our Site(s), analyzing your interactions with our Site(s)), and do not identify you personally in any such analyses.
You can change your browser settings so that you are notified when cookies are being used. You can also change your browser settings to allow cookies only once, refuse them completely or refuse them just in certain cases. You may also activate the automatic deletion of cookies when you close your browser. Deactivating cookies may restrict the Site(s) functionality and impact or impair your experience on the Site(s).
Server Log Files
Data that your browser sends us is collected automatically and saved in server log files. They contain:
- Browser type, version, location and carrier
- Operating system used
- Referrer URL (the URL that the user comes from)
- Host name (network name) of the accessing computer
- Time of server request
This data cannot be traced to individual people. We do not merge this data with other data sources. We reserve the right to review the information subsequently, and report it to authorities (such as the police or public prosecutor’s office), if there are circumstances which we reasonably believe indicate that our internet presence is being used illegally (for example, a hacking attack on our network).
Web analytics tools and other technologies
Data that you provide voluntarily
Our relationship with you
Our relationship with you (including the Site(s) that you use and the products or services you request) will dictate the types of personal data that we collect from you, and our uses of such data. For example, we collect and use different personal data according to whether you are an insured policyholder, a claimant, a customer to whom we provide inspection services, a passive visitor of our Site(s), or a job applicant.
Collecting and processing your personal data
Personal data that we collect from you may include the following:
- Contact information, such as: first and last name, title, company name, e-mail address, phone number, location and postal address.
- Authentication and access information, such as: username, password and related security information.
- Policy and claim information (including materials submitted as part of a claim).
- Feedback, inquiries or other communications about the Site(s) and our products and services.
- Your preferences, such as: language, date format, notification method, postal code, and time zone.
- Your profile picture (if provided voluntarily).
We process your personal data in accordance with applicable laws and always for one or more of the following reasons:
- To enter into or perform a contract or for other business or commercial purposes: For example, we use your personal data to provide quotes; investigate claims; fulfill orders for products or services; communicate with you; respond to customer service requests; facilitate use of the Site(s), fulfill the reason for which you provided us your information, to improve our Site(s) and content; for testing, research, analysis or product development; etc.
- Our legitimate business interests: For example, we use your personal data to make improvements to our Site(s), our internal operations, our security efforts, and our products and services which benefit our customers.
- With your consent: For example, we will obtain your consent to process your personal data for purposes of sending you marketing or promotional material. Consent can be withdrawn in these circumstances by opting out of such communications at any time; provided, however, that it will not affect data processed prior to such withdrawal.
- As otherwise permitted by law or where required to comply with one or more of our legal obligations: For example, we may process your personal data for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims.
Sharing your personal data
We will keep your personal data confidential and only share it with others in furtherance of one or more of the purposes above.
We share your personal data, on a confidential basis, with those departments and staff members (including departments and staff members of our affiliates or subsidiaries) who are responsible for the applicable use or processing activity and who have a need to know in order to perform their duties.
Disclosures to third parties
We may share your personal data with our parent, Munich Re (and its subsidiaries), as well as third party service providers. A list of the categories of third party service providers to whom your data may be disclosed is provided below:
- Any agent or representative acting for you;
- Insurers or reinsurers;
- Third parties in the insurance distribution chain who we rely on to administer insurance, such as brokers, insurers, and other intermediaries;
- Law firms and other advisors;
- Credit referencing, debt collection and fraud and prevention agencies;
- Marketing service providers;
- IT service providers, IT maintenance providers, and cloud service and hosting providers
- Regulators and other applicable governmental bodies;
- Selected third parties in connection with any sale, transfer, or disposal of our business; or
- Any other person where necessary to perform a contract with you, to protect ourselves from risk, or to ensure regulatory compliance or good governance.
Transmitting your data internationally
You may also request more information regarding our data transfers and the steps we take to safeguard your personal data by contacting us using the contact information set forth above.
Third party sites
Retention of your data
To the extent provided by law, you may have the right to: access your personal data; request transfer of your personal data; request updates or corrections to your personal data; request that we delete, erase, or restrict access to your personal data; object to our processing of your personal data, or lodge a complaint with your local data privacy regulator. These rights may not apply in every circumstance or to every user. You can exercise your rights, or request more information about your rights, by contacting us using the contact information set forth above.
Please note that there may be certain circumstances where we cannot comply with your request; such as where complying with it would mean that we couldn't comply with our own legal or regulatory requirements. In these instances, we will let you know why we cannot comply with your request.
In some circumstances, complying with your request may result in your insurance policy or inspection services contract being cancelled or your claim being discontinued. We will inform you of this at the time you make such a request.
How to ‘opt out’ from marketing
You have control over the extent to which we market to you and can request that we stop sending you marketing messages at any time. You can do this by either clicking on the "unsubscribe" button in any marketing email that we send to you or by contacting us using the contact information set forth above.
Please note that even if you opt out from receiving marketing communications, we may still send you service-related and administrative communications from which you cannot opt out without choosing to discontinue doing business with us.