Miscellaneous Professional Liability (MPL) insurance
Why MPL coverage is essential for certain small businesses
Professional service providers such as business consultants, commercial photographers, hairdressers and property managers face significant professional liability exposure in the course of doing their jobs. MPL coverage responds to actual or alleged negligence, error or omission in performing professional services for a fee.
Customers who feel their expectations were not met, may be quick to sue, alleging financial damage as a result of the service provider’s:
- Negligence performing the service.
- Errors and omissions in providing a service.
- Misrepresentation of information, or the service they promised to provide.
Some of these lawsuits may have no merit but can still become costly to defend.
Newly enhanced affordable MPL coverage for 100+ classes
HSB’s MPL coverage is available to over 100 eligible classes of these “Main Street” type businesses, including smaller ones with revenue of $150,000 and less. It can be written:
- As an endorsement or coverage part to another underlying policy.
- Through the Portfolio Program, designed for select professional service providers with up to $2.5 million in annual revenues.
- Through the Referral Program, designed for insureds with annual revenues between $2.5 million and $5 million.
What does Miscellaneous Professional Liability insurance cover?
HSB’s MPL coverage is written on a claims-made and reported, defense-within-limits and duty-to-defend basis. It covers:
- Liability and defense costs from claims that allege errors or omissions, negligence, misstatements or misleading statements in performing, or failing to perform, professional services for others for a fee.
Exceptional claims service and legal representation
MPL claims require special treatment and sensitive handling. HSB manages the entire MPL claim process, providing:
- Highly experienced MPL claim specialists who can come to swift, effective resolutions.
- Representation from law firms that focus on defending service providers in professional liability lawsuits; representation that would be cost-prohibitive for most small businesses.