Focused on helping our customers reduce their engineering risks and optimise the efficiency of their plant and equipment
Periodic engineering inspections on plant and equipment operated in the workplace can help maintain a safe operating environment, and add value by helping the business operate efficiently; whilst also ensuring employer conformity to applicable health and safety legislation.
Non-compliance to statutory examinations can have serious consequences for a business. Risks can include damage to a business’s reputation, a reduction in workforce efficiency, increased risk of accidents and ill health, and even enforcement by regulators; which, ultimately, can lead to heavy fines or even imprisonment.
Our inspection services
We provide inspection services for the following classes of plant and equipment to assist in compliance with health and safety legislation:
|Equipment category||Legislation (1)|
|Boiler/pressure||Pressure System Safety Regulations 2000 (PSSR)|
|Lifting||Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 (LOLER)|
|Electrical/mechanical||Provision and Use of Work Equipment 1998 (PUWER)|
|Local exhaust ventilation||The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH)|
|Power presses and associated machinery||Provision and Use of Work Equipment 1998 (PUWER)|
|Fixed electrical wiring||Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 (EAWR)|
Our inspection services are also available for plant and equipment covered by other legislation not listed above, including:
- Control of Major Accident Hazards Regulations 2015 (COMAH)
- Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR)
- Control of Lead at Work Regulations 2002 (CLAW)
Our inspection services are provided in the role of ‘Competent Person’ for all service areas in which we are accredited by UKAS to ‘ISO/IEC 17020 - In-Service Inspection Bodies’; carried out by our network of competent, technically-experienced Engineer Surveyors.
Inspection services in the Republic of Ireland are provided to comply with the equivalent legislation.
Insight: Equipment start-up following an extended shut down period
Why choose HSB?
- We are a leading specialist provider of engineering and technology insurance and inspection services in the UK and Ireland
- Proactive inspection service carried out by a network of competent, technically-experienced Engineer Surveyors located throughout the UK and Ireland
- Inspection services accredited by UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service)
- UK-based arm of HSB Group, the equipment breakdown insurance and inspection market leader since 1866
- Part of Munich Re, a world leader in risk solutions, consistent risk management and financial stability
- Rated A++ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company
- We are a member of the Institute of Customer Service, demonstrating our commitment to continually improving customer service performance and professionalism.
Accreditations, certificates and memberships
We hold many accreditations, certificates and memberships in relation to the health and safety of our people, our customers and our inspection services.