A long and proud history
The Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company (HSB) was founded on June 30, 1866, prompted by the high rate of accidents during the Industrial Revolution. The company’s first president characterized HSB as “the first company in America devoted primarily to industrial safety.”
The company’s engineering expertise and devotion to safety had a profound impact on industry. “Hartford Standards” quickly became the specifications for boiler design, manufacture and maintenance. Now, more than 150 years later, those same values of loss prevention are still at the forefront of much of what we do. The company’s founding premise of dealing with “matters relative to everyday life” is also very much alive in the company’s culture.
Driven by technology and fueled by innovation, HSB is accelerating, changing the future of specialty insurance and risk solutions to unlock new opportunities for our clients and partners as we build on our strong heritage of engineering expertise and insurance leadership.
A vision for the future
Quick facts about HSB:
- Always strives to do the right thing
- Is on the cutting edge of Technology (AI, IoT, Sensors, Cyber, etc.)
- Is an industry leader in Engineering expertise
- Is part of a financially stable global enterprise
- Offers all of the benefits of a large multinational organization with a small community feel
- Rated A++ by A.M Best
- Progressive approach to your professional development
- Cultivates a truly diverse and inclusive workplace
- Provides flexible work arrangements to promote work/life harmony
- Wants you to succeed