HSB Cyber Insurance
Embedded home cyber cover
Comprehensive cover for cyber crime and home systems damage
At HSB, we’re focused on providing you with innovative, comprehensive home cyber cover for your home insurance customers.
- A product which enhances your customer proposition, loyalty and retention, without the underwriting risks
- Include home cyber as a standardised section within your relevant product suite, without the typically-associated internal expertise, resources and costs
- Reduced errors and omissions exposure
- One single policy
- Less administration
- Easy access to a cyber product with more relevant cover and limits at an affordable price
- Access to a dedicated, specialist claim service and cyber professionals; providing expertise to help respond to a cyber incident
What is HSB Cyber Insurance?
HSB's home cyber insurance policy can provide personal cyber insurance protection to your home insurance customers (including high net worth and mid net worth customers) in order to improve their resilience to cyber crime.
The policy covers the policyholder's resident family members (including those who are students and are temporarily living away from home) and resident domestic staff, and also covers a second home located in the UK or abroad.
Cover is also provided for home systems, including IoT/Wi-Fi devices and connected home technologies.
Elements of cover
Cyber home systems damage following a cyber event
- Cost of reconfiguring and rectifying damage to home systems and restoring data from backups
- Cost of locating and removing computer viruses
- Professional assistance in preventing future losses
- Damage to systems
- Data restoration costs
- Virus removal
- Professional assistance
- Financial losses from fraudulent communication via home systems (e.g. phishing attacks)
- Cyber ransom response
- Telephone hacking
- Damages and costs:
- Data privacy
- Virus transmission
- Defamation and disparagement
Who is not covered?
Family members and domestic staff who do not reside at the policyholder's home/second home.
We’re committed to providing a superior customer experience through our dedicated, specialist claims service.
Within two hours of our receipt of a reported cyber incident by the policyholder:
Example policy limits and excesses
Depending on the customer type, our available range of limits and excesses are:
- Limits: £2,500 to £100,000
- Excesses: £100 to £500
Main conditions and exclusions
- Adequate anti-virus software installation and maintenance (where available)
- Sum insured includes defence cost
- Police reporting of a loss/damage relating to crime
- Report a crime loss to a bank or other financial organisation first
- Advanced fee fraud
- External network failure
- Intentional/malicious acts
- Patent infringement
- Home business transactions/activities
The following are examples of the types of claims that are covered under the HSB Home Cyber policy.
A policyholder received an email requesting payment of his TV licence, and assumed it related to recent changes for those aged over 75. After following the email’s payment instructions, the email mysteriously disappeared from his mailbox. Upon contacting his bank, he was advised to cancel his debit card.
The insured then received a call, allegedly from his bank, who advised him to transfer all funds from his account to prevent any fraudulent transactions. A follow-up call was promised but never came. When the insured contacted his bank directly, he discovered the transferred funds (£20,640) had disappeared from his account. Only £3,030 of the funds were retrievable.
A policyholder was reviewing their finances with their financial advisor via email. Following discussions, the insured decided to transfer some money into his spouse’s pension fund account. Initially, it was agreed that the transfer would be completed via cheque, however a subsequent email, believed to be from the financial advisor, advised the funds should instead be transferred directly into the pension fund providers’ bank account.
Following the money transfer, the insured checked to ensure everything was ok, only to discover that the money had been intercepted by fraudsters who had hacked, and monitored, the financial advisor’s email account. The insured contacted their bank to stop the transfer but it was too late and the money could not be recovered.
This is an overview of the HSB Cyber Insurance product. For full details of the cover and further information, contact our team.
For distribution channel use only.