Contractors' All Risks
CAR insurance, sometimes referred to as contract works insurance, provides comprehensive cover for construction, buildings and civil engineering projects. Due to the complex nature of contract works, this policy is designed to provide cover for any damage that occurs during the construction process.
Available on a single risk or annual basis, our policy can be arranged in the name of the contractor, the principal or joint names depending on the project requirement.
Our CAR policy provides cover for:
- materials from the commencement of loading for despatch to site (including transit and incidental storage)
- contract works during the construction period (including automatic continuation of cover for ongoing contracts that increase in contract price; up to 125% of the sum insured)
- maintenance and defective design
- free issue materials where these are included in the declared values
- private dwelling houses and commercial buildings during the construction period, once completed and also pending sale
Cover can be extended to include advance loss of profits, owned contractors' plant and hired-in plant.
Why buy HSB Construction Insurance?
Our underwriters and risk engineers have extensive experience in providing construction insurance and are recognised as experts in this field. Drawing on our vast expertise in the construction sector, we are able to provide insurance products to meet the insurable risks of a specific project.
- Policy wordings specifically designed with contractors, property developers and construction plant owners in mind
- Extensive underwriting expertise
- Specialist engineering knowledge of plant and machinery
- Cover available across the UK and Ireland
- Access to experienced in-house construction loss control risk engineers
- Access to claims handlers and loss adjusters with specialist knowledge of the construction industry
Why choose HSB?
- Leading specialist provider of engineering and technology insurance and inspection services in the UK and Ireland
- UK-based arm of HSB Group, the equipment breakdown insurance and inspection market leader since 1866
- Part of Munich Re, a world leader in risk solutions, consistent risk management and financial stability
- Financially strong and stable – rated A++ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company
- A member of the Institute of Customer Service, demonstrating our commitment to continually improving customer service performance and professionalism
Guides to loss prevention: Construction
Our series of 'risk guidance documents' offer both practical advice and guidance based on industry best practices. These include titles such as:
- Construction site fire safety plan - guidance for site managers
- Tower crane collapse events - risk management
- Safeguarding construction plant and equipment
- Fire caused by hot works