Contractors' plant insurance recognises the dependency of the construction industry on a wide range of plant and machinery; from tower cranes and large mobile cranes, to excavators, generators and hand tools. Due to the nature and use of these types of plant, they are susceptible to risks such as damage on site, damage in transit, fire and theft.
Our contractors all risks policy provides protection for unforeseen loss or damage to construction plant and machinery. Cover is available for owned or hired-in plant and targeted at plant owners, hirer or construction industry contractors. However, it is also relevant for manufacturers and businesses that often need to hire in plant and machinery.
Our contractors plant policy provides:
- cover on a specified or blanket basis for owned plant
- broad description of plant cover covered with owned plant insurance on a reinstatement (new for old) basis up to 24 months old
- legal liability cover for hired-in plant under the terms of the hire agreement
- cover for plant whilst hired out
Our policy contains no security conditions as standard. However, premium discounts are available for customers who install quality security systems (such as Thatcham-approved devices) and register with the Construction Equipment Security and Registration scheme (CESAR).
Cover extends to include repair repair investigation costs, debris removal, recovery of immobilised plant, damage due to cyber attack on owned plant, theft of fuel from insured plant, damage to unmanned aerial devices whilst not being operated, CPA contract lifts, Fire Brigade charges, loss of keys, transit by roll on/roll off ferry, temporary removal outside of the territorial limits but within the European Union.
Guidance on temporary closure of construction sites
Why buy HSB Construction Insurance?
Our underwriters and risk engineers have extensive experience in providing construction insurance and are recognised as experts in this field. Drawing on our vast expertise in the construction sector, we are able to provide insurance products to meet the insurable risks of a specific project.
- Policy wordings specifically designed with contractors, property developers and construction plant owners in mind
- Extensive underwriting expertise
- Specialist engineering knowledge of plant and machinery
- Cover available across the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland
- Access to experienced in-house construction loss control risk engineers
- Access to claims handlers and loss adjusters with specialist knowledge of the construction industry
Why choose HSB?
- Leading specialist provider of engineering and technology insurance and inspection services in the UK, Ireland and Europe
- UK-based arm of HSB Group, the equipment breakdown insurance and inspection market leader since 1866
- Part of Munich Re, a world leader in risk solutions, consistent risk management and financial stability
- Financially strong and stable – rated A++ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company
- A member of the Institute of Customer Service, demonstrating our commitment to continually improving customer service performance and professionalism
Guides to loss prevention: Construction
Using our extensive knowledge and experience of engineering and technology risks, built on a heritage of over 150 years, we have developed a series of 'risk guidance documents' which offer both practical advice and guidance based on industry best practices. These include titles such as:
- Safeguarding contractors' small tools and equipment
- Mobile cranes overturning on construction sites
- Safeguarding construction plant and equipment