How We Use and Disclose Your Information
When you purchase insurance from us, you share personal information so that we may provide you with the products and services that best meet your needs and provide the insurance protection you have requested. In order to do this, we may use and disclose your personal information for the purposes of, amongst other things, evaluating, monitoring and assessing insurance needs, providing risk management services, underwriting, rating, binding and issuing insurance policies and providing all policy related or administrative services, including verifying information, loss control, compliance with regulatory requirements, and claims investigation, surveillance, detecting and preventing fraud, adjustment and coverage assessment. This also includes collecting and disclosing personal information about third parties with respect to claims made against Temple’s customers. We may also disclose personal information to our affiliated companies for insurance or reinsurance purposes, and we may provide personal information for various claims services to our brokers, adjusters, repairs shops, contractors, construction companies, engineers, lawyers, accountants and others. To the extent required by law, we may also disclose personal information.
All personal information collected by us is safeguarded with appropriate security measures. We will only retain personal information for as long as is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected or as is required by law. You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you, subject to the following (and any other reasonable or legal conditions which may be necessary), and, if the case may be, to request that the information be rectified if it is inaccurate, incomplete, ambiguous or collected in violation of the law. A request to that effect must be sent in writing to our Privacy Officer. However, we are unable to provide access to such personal information in any of the following circumstances:
- if doing so would likely reveal personal information about a third party;
- if the information is subject to legal privilege;
- if revealing the information would reveal confidential commercial information;
- if revealing the information could affect the security of another person;
- if revealing the information could compromise the investigation of a claim;
- if the information relates to the actual or suspected breach of an insurance policy or other agreement or the breach of Canadian law; or,
- if the information was generated in the course of a formal dispute resolution process.
Type of Personal Information We Will Collect
How We Obtain Personal Information
Most of the personal information collected by us is provided by insurance brokers or adjusting firms (retained by us to investigate a claim or loss). Also, we obtain personal information from various third party sources as part of the underwriting process. For example, where we underwrite automobile insurance, we may obtain a record of driving offences and we may also obtain claims or underwriting information from other insurance companies or insurance industry sources. Our insurance brokers are responsible for obtaining the consent of our customers with respect to the collection of such information and we and/or our brokers will infer such consent when appropriate. If an insurance broker advises Temple that we have the customer’s consent to collect information, we rely on that representation.
We also collect personal information from a variety of sources in investigating, evaluating and adjusting claims. Personal information required for claims purposes may be obtained from our customers’ insurance brokers or from third party sources. We may collect such information directly or through insurance adjusters, private investigators or lawyers representing Temple or our insured. Consent may be obtained by us or through the broker, an insurance adjuster, investigator or lawyer when personal information is collected for claims purposes. Consent may not be obtained with respect to the collection of certain publicly available information. If information is collected with respect to an investigation involving the suspected breach of an insurance policy (or other agreement), or breach of applicable law, then consent may not be obtained. In some cases, we or our broker will infer such consent when appropriate.
When Your Consent Is Not Required
Knowledge and consent for the collection, use and disclosure of personal information are not required in many circumstances, such as:
- When Temple discloses personal information to an approved investigative body;
- When Temple believes that the information relates to the breach of an insurance policy or other agreement and it would compromise the availability of the personal information relating to that breach;
- When Temple believes that the information relates to the contravention of any applicable law, including the detection and prevention of fraud;
- For compliance with summons to witness, search warrants or other judicial or governmental order(s);
- When legal, medical or security reasons may make it impossible or impractical to seek consent;
- When Temple is under a public requirement to disclose personal information to appropriate authorities in matters of significant public interest;
- Where the individual in respect of whom the personal information relates, is a minor, seriously ill or mentally incapacitated and seeking consent is neither possible nor appropriate;
- Where the personal information is publicly available and is specified by the regulations; or
- When Temple is required by law to disclose the information.
What We Will Not Do with Your Information
We Strive to Protect Your Personal Information
All employees, agents, independent brokers and suppliers who are granted access to customer information understand the need to keep this information protected and confidential. They know they are to use the information only for the purposes intended. This expectation is clearly communicated and reinforced.
We have also established physical and systems safeguards, along with the proper processes, to protect customer information from unauthorized access or use.
Your Privacy Choices
If You Need More Information
For more information about our privacy policies and procedures, please contact the Temple Insurance Privacy Officer as follows:
Temple Insurance Company
Munich Re Centre
390 Bay Street, 22nd Floor
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By phone: +1 (416) 364-2851 or toll-free at +1 (877) 364-2851
Munich Re Group affiliated companies in Canada:
- Temple Insurance Company
- Munich Reinsurance Company of Canada
- Munich-Canada Management Corporation
- Munich Holdings Ltd.
- Munich Life Management Corporation
- Munich Reinsurance Company (Life) (Canada Branch)
- Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company of Canada
- DAS Canada
- Munich Reinsurance Company of America (Canada Branch)