During the first week of the programme, we will have two sessions that need some preparation from your side. First, the “Getting to know each other: Gallup: CliftonStrengths Workshop” and second, the “Home Market Presentations”. Below you find further details.
And there is also a checklist summarizing all you need to know and do regarding registration, visa and vaccination requirements and much more.
The Gallup: CliftonStrengths Finder is a web-based self-assessment tool, based on 50 years of research. Within approx. 30 to 60 minutes you can find out about individual strengths and how you can best use them. You will receive an individual report and all we ask you to do is to bring the results along to Munich – as we will be using some of the results in our introduction workshop on Monday, 30 May 2022.
We will send you an access code by beginning of May. Your participation is of course voluntary and in case you decide against it, we will find a workaround for the introduction workshop. But we can only encourage you to test it. Our 2021 Advance fellows were really excited about it!
Here is your second task for Advance 2022: During the first week, you and the other fellows will give a presentation with a dual purpose. First, it gives us a chance to personally get to know the talented professional you are. Second, it offers an insight into your country’s industry and its challenges. This will be the perfect starting point to get some background on our diverse group, analyze our team strengths, and set the bar for our future project work and discussions. Make sure to submit your Pecha Kucha presentations to Advance (Pool) no later than Friday, 13 May 2022.
Although we are excited to see what each participant offers in the presentation as regards enthusiasm and originality, here are some basic tips to get you started with your preparation. We look forward to receiving your presentations!
Personal introduction (3 minutes - no PPT - without technical support)
Tell us something that represents who you are or where you are from.
For this introduction, present a small object, picture, drawing or some other original idea of yours that represents you or is typical for your home country – something that you identify with on a personal level. It is a good idea to think outside of the box for this task, so please do not simply present your CV. Be creative!
Home market presentation (7 minutes - PPT in Pecha Kucha format)
How would you describe your country’s industry and the environment it operates in?
This is ‘the core’ of your presentation and its aim is to inform the other Advance fellows and the Munich Re team about your local insurance market. It should be informative, well-structured and enlightening. Demonstrate how you approach and analyze the market. Let us see your strengths!
You may focus on any aspect you find important, but here are some questions around which you could structure your presentation:
- What are the characteristics of your market and the products sold?
- What is the insurance penetration like?
- What is the market premium volume (life/non-life) and market concentration (i.e. how high is the market share of your top five and top ten companies)?
- What is the role of reinsurance in your market?
- Which trends do you see for the future of the insurance industry in your home market?
- Which challenges do you expect to be faced by the insurance industry in your home market in future?
- What is the mission statement of your company?
- What is your company’s unique selling point?
- Tell us about a recent success story of your company in your market.
The home market section of your presentation should last 7 minutes and have the Pecha Kucha format. Pecha Kucha stands for concise information in a short time, so it often entails a bit of extra preparation and a strong focus on timing.
Things to keep in mind regarding the Pecha Kucha format:
- Seven minutes speaking time = approx. 20 slides with a maximum of 20 seconds of speaking time per slide.
- The slides will be shown as a slideshow, changing automatically every 20 seconds.
- The slides should have a strong focus on images (no complex images; maximum one message per slide).
- Pecha Kucha is dynamic and fast.
- You can find more information at www.pechakucha.org
- Hints on Pecha Kucha presentations are available at How to Make a Pecha Kucha
- A good example for a Pecha Kucha presentation at Pecha Kucha about Pecha Kucha
- For those of you who do not have any experience with this style of presentation please use this pre-programmed Pecha Kucha master presentation (see download).
- Fill in the registration form
- Send a portrait photograph of yourself (jpg, size 208 x 208 pixels)
- Apply for a multiple-entry visa for Germany (if required)
- Apply for a UK business visitor visa (if required; see application link)
- Take out third-party liability, personal accident, health and travel insurance for your stay abroad
- Please make sure to fulfil the EU and UK entry regulations regarding COVID 19
Please send the following information to Advance (Pool) by Friday, 13 May 2022
- A copy of your German visa (if required for your stay)
- A copy of your UK visa (if required for your stay)
- A copy of your documents for travel, medical, liability and accident insurance
Home market presentation
- Prepare your home market presentation and send it to Advance (Pool) before Friday, 13 May 2022
Gallup: CliftonStrengths Finder
- Do the self-assessment before Monday 30 May
Do not forget to bring:
- Your passport
- A copy of your insurance policies
- Your vaccination certificate
- Your international driver’s license (if necessary)
- Technical equipment: laptop, adapters for Germany and the UK, smartphone (for the programme app)
- For leisure activities and trips: warm jacket/coat, waterproof clothing, bathing suit, comfortable and sturdy shoes
- A backpack or small suitcase (for clothes/personal items for our 2-day excursions outside of Munich), slippers for the guest house