Five Key Conversations to have with your People Manager throughout your first few weeks
1. The situational diagnosis conversation
2. The expectations conversation
Your agenda for this conversation is to understand and negotiate expectations. What does your People Manager need you to do in the short term and medium term? What does success look like? How will your performance be measured? Get in the habit of having very quick but clear expectation discussions. This can be a brief conversation which allows the both of you to stay in sync with one another. These three questions may be helpful during your discussion:
- What are the major results you expect me to achieve in the next few weeks?
- What results are most important?
- What changes do you see happening this quarter or next quarter that will shift the priorities?
3. The style conversation
4. The resources conversation
5. The personal development conversation
Finally, discuss how your tenure in this job will contribute to your professional development. Are there projects that you can undertake? Are there courses or programs to further develop your skills?
Reference: The First 90 Days: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels, Michael Watkins (2003) and Learning and Development - New Manager Onboarding Guide. York University (2009).