About us and scope
Please be advised that depending on the nature of your relationship with us, the Site(s) that you use, and/or the jurisdiction in which you are located, supplemental or different privacy policies may apply. You are advised to review the privacy policies made available on each of the Site(s) that you use, as well as any other privacy policies, notices, or statements provided by us to you.
Our contact information
Munich Re Ventures, LLC
2 Embarcadero Center
San Francisco, CA 94111
Your authorized agent may also make requests on your behalf. Please have your authorized agent contact us using the information above and to include the proper documentary evidence that demonstrates their authority to make such a request on your behalf. Such documentary evidence includes a signed permission by you or a properly executed power of attorney. Where you have provided signed permission to the authorized agent, we may take steps to verify your identity or directly confirm with you that you have authorized the agent to make a request on your behalf.
Personal data we collect and how we use it
There are two categories of personal data that we may collect about you: data collected automatically; and data provided voluntarily.
Personal data collected automatically
Personal data provided voluntarily
Our relationship with you
Our relationship with you (including the Site(s) that you use and any other products and/or services you request) will dictate the types of personal data that we collect from you and how we use such personal data. For example, we may collect and use different personal data according to whether you are a prospective customer, an employee at a company that we are assessing, a passive visitor of our Site(s), or otherwise.
Collecting and processing your personal data
Personal data that we collect from you may include the following:
- Contact information, such as: first and last name, title, company name, e-mail address, phone number, location and postal address.
- Feedback, inquiries and/or other communications about the Site(s) and our products and services.
- Your preferences, such as: language, date format, notification method, postal code, and time zone.
- To enter into or perform a contract: For example, we may use your personal data in the course of our investment activities, including conducting due diligence and evaluating investment opportunities.
- Our legitimate business interests: For example, we use your personal data to help improve our Site(s), our internal operations, our security efforts, and our products and services.
- With your consent: For example, we will obtain your consent to process your personal data for purposes of sending you marketing or promotional material. Consent can be withdrawn in these circumstances by opting out of such communications; provided, however, that it will not affect data processed prior to such withdrawal.
- As otherwise permitted by law or where required to comply with one or more of our legal obligations.
Personal data does not include information that has been aggregated or anonymized so that individuals cannot be re-identified by a third party or otherwise (“Anonymized Data”). We may use Anonymized Data for the non-exhaustive purposes of improving our business operations, products, Site(s), or for our own research and development. We reserve the right to provide Anonymized Data to third parties for the purpose of evaluating and improving the Site(s) or for other purposes that we deem reasonable or appropriate.
Sharing your personal data
Disclosures to third parties
- Any agent or representative acting for you
- Insurers or reinsurers
- Law firms and other advisors
- Credit referencing, debt collection and fraud and prevention agencies
- Marketing service providers
- IT service providers, IT maintenance providers, and cloud service and hosting providers
- Regulators and other applicable governmental bodies
- Selected third parties in connection with any sale, transfer, or disposal of our business
- Any other person where necessary to perform a contract with you, to protect ourselves from risk, to ensure regulatory compliance or good governance, or to anyone to who we are otherwise required or permitted by law to disclose your personal data.
Where required or permitted by applicable law, we will report or disclose personal data to authorities (such as the police, law enforcement, or public prosecutor’s office), where we reasonably believe that our Site(s) or other internet presence is being used illegally (for example, a hacking attack on our network).
Transmitting your personal data internationally
Please be aware that personal data collected through the Site(s) may be transferred to, stored in, or processed in the United States and other countries, where our servers are located and our database is operated, or where our third-party service providers servers and/or databases are located. If you are visiting the Site(s) from outside of the United States, please be advised that: (i) the data protection laws of the United States may not be as comprehensive as those in your country of residence, (ii) your personal data is subject to the laws of the United States or of the other country in which it is held, and (iii) it may be subject to disclosure to the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies of the United States or such other country, pursuant to the laws of the United States or such other country.
You may also request more information regarding our data transfers, including transfers to service providers outside of your country and the steps we take to safeguard your personal data, by contacting us using the contact information provided above.
Third Party sites
Retention of your personal data
To the extent provided by the law of your jurisdiction, you may have the right to:
- request access to your personal data;
- request updates or corrections to your personal data or challenge the accuracy or completeness of your personal data;
- request that we delete your personal data;
- request a disclosure of the personal data that we have collected from you;
- request that we transfer your personal data;
- request that we restrict access to your personal data;
- object to our processing of your personal data; or
- lodge a complaint with your local data privacy regulator
The rights listed above may not apply in every circumstance or to every user. You can exercise your rights or request more information about your rights by contacting us using the contact information below. If we require further information from you to process your request or verify your identity, one of our staff will contact you. Verification of your identity may be through various means, including but not limited to verification against our own records, through use of a password protected account that you maintain with us, or by other means we deem appropriate given the nature of the request and the personal data involved. In any case, we will attempt to respond to each of your requests not later than thirty (30) days after receipt of such requests or in such other timeframe as may be specified by applicable law. We will advise you in writing if we cannot meet your requests within this time limit.
Please note that there may be certain circumstances where we cannot comply with your request; such as where complying with it would mean that we couldn’t comply with our own legal or regulatory requirements. In these instances, we will let you know why we cannot comply with your request.
How to ‘opt out’ from marketing
You have control over the extent to which we market to you and can request that we stop sending you marketing messages at any time. You can do this by either clicking on the “unsubscribe” button in any marketing email that we send to you or by contacting us using the contact information set forth above.
Please note that even if you opt out from receiving marketing communications, we may still send you service-related and administrative communications from which you cannot opt out without choosing to discontinue doing business with us.
California residents: Your privacy rights
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), California residents have certain rights with respect to our collection, use, and sharing of their personal data.
We collect various categories of personal data when you use the Site(s). A detailed description of the data we collect and how we use it is provided above (Section entitled - “Data we collect and how we use it”). You will find that the Section entitled “Sharing your personal data” describes the categories of third parties with whom we share your personal data and what information may be shared under different circumstances.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights under the CCPA. We will not: (i) deny goods or services to you, (ii) charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties, (iii) provide you a different level or quality of goods or services, or (iv) suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services. We do not offer financial incentives associated with our collection, use, or disclosure of your personal data.
Separate from the CCPA, California’s Shine the Light law gives California residents the right to ask companies what personal data they share with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes. We do not disclose your personal data to third parties for the purpose of directly marketing their goods or services to you unless you request such disclosure.
Children’s use of the site(s)
Do Not Track disclosure
LAST REVISED DATE: January 2021