Frequently asked questions
about our inspection services

    alt txt



    We are Canada's premier supplier of commercial and personal Property and Casualty (P&C) Insurance. The company has been in existence since 1875 providing technical expertise, engineering, inspections and insurance solutions.
    HSB Canada insures and inspects a wide variety of equipment, not just boilers. Perhaps a better term would be equipment breakdown insurance. Some people are not even aware that they have this coverage as it may be included in their commercial property insurance. HSB Canada is available to assist in any case.

    An HSB Canada inspector will meet with you to better understand your business and the equipment in your facility, relative to the coverage which you have with your insurance.

    Depending on what is insured, the inspector will ask you questions about your operation and will make arrangements to issue a certificate of inspection for the piece of equipment. Any information you provide is for insurance purposes only, and is held confidentially by HSB Canada. Subsequent visits focus primarily on updating information and certificates.

    Both the insurance company and the insureds benefit from an open exchange of information. In order to provide insurance to you, we need to understand what is being insured – hence the visit. As part of the visit, we can offer loss prevention information, a benefit to you.
    There is no charge for the inspection. It is a service that is provided with your insurance.
    Your broker has put your best interests at heart in arranging equipment breakdown coverage for you. Brokers are usually aware that an inspector may call their insureds, however HSB Canada does not co-ordinate the visits through the brokers. We deal directly with the insureds. By all means discuss the upcoming inspection with your broker if you wish.
    Depending on the provincial requirements, certain boilers and pressure vessels require a current certificate of inspection in order to legally operate the equipment. Depending on provincial regulations, HSB may be able to provide this certificate as part of their service to you.