Last revised: 6 August 2014
1. Protecting Your Privacy
2. What do we do?
Generally, HSBEIL provides insurance products and services to wholesale and retail clients via agents and their distributors or intermediaries, and reinsurance to other insurers.
3. What kind of information do we collect and hold?
The kind of personal information we usually collect and hold depends on the nature of our interactions and relationship with you. We collect personal information about insurance customers, our agents and contractors, and contact details of persons from our business partners, suppliers and service providers.
In particular, the kind of personal information that we collect and hold may include:
- Name and address (personal or business address may be collected), date of birth, gender and occupation, educational qualifications and dependant names and beneficiaries;
- Other contact details including email, phone and facsimile numbers;
- Financial information and records including credit card or bank account details;
- Complaint details (in the event that you make a complaint);
- Information to conduct our businesses, including information relating to underwriting insurance products, managing and processing insurance claims, including previous insurance records and claims histories, services relating to our businesses and your business dealings or relationships with us.
In some cases, we may also collect and hold sensitive information, which may include:
- Health information;
- Criminal record information;
- Your membership of a professional association or trade union;
- Sexual preferences or practices.
4. How do we collect and hold personal information?
We usually collect personal information by various means including in person, electronically such as by email, by other forms of electronic data transfer, by disk or imaged documents, from websites, by telephone, by fax, manually by letter or other hard copy documentation.
We usually hold the personal information we collect on electronic databases maintained in our IT systems within HSBEIL and its related entities, which are part of the Munich Re Group. We have reasonable security measures in place to secure the electronically held personal information.
5. From whom do we collect personal information?
We may collect personal information from you although usually we collect your personal information from others such as third parties, our related entities, service providers or other organisations including:
- Insurers, insurance brokers, reinsurance brokers or other reinsurers, agents and distributors, and their related entities;
- Industry associations and the Financial Ombudsman Service;
- Insurance intermediaries, agencies and their authorised representatives and distributors;
- Facilitators and service providers such as lawyers, loss adjusters, assessors, accountants, investigators, advisers, researchers, experts, contractors, IT experts and providers, credit or financial providers or institutions, actuaries, and their agents and subcontractors; Doctors, medical service providers and other providers and experts;
- Publically available information such as that found on websites;
- Statutory or government organisations, bodies or agencies;
- Your employer.
6. What are the purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information?
Generally, the purpose of collecting, holding, using and disclosing your personal information is for one or more of the following:
- providing insurance products, reinsurance products and services as part of managing and dealing with our businesses;
- to administer and manage insurance and reinsurance claims and dealing with third party providers, making payments and seeking recoveries;
- dealing with our business partners and contacts, agents and third party service providers;
- dealing with complaints and enquiries;
- managing, administering and facilitating our businesses; and
- other activities relating to the operations and conducting the businesses including as required or permitted by law.
7. How can you access your personal information held by us?
You can access personal information we hold about you, subject to any legal restrictions or exemptions, if you request access to it. To request access to your personal information please contact our Privacy Officer as follows:
The Privacy Officer
HSB Engineering Insurance Limited
New London House
6 London Street
London EC3R 7LP
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7264 7000
We will respond to your request for access within a reasonable time. We will give access in the manner you request, where it is reasonable and practicable to do so. Where we cannot give access in the manner requested, we may instead give you access in another way, including access through a mutually agreed intermediary where appropriate. There may be some cost to you to cover the cost of retrieving and processing the information. We may also require you to formally prove that you are the individual to whom we hold the personal information upon.
8. How can you seek correction of your personal information held by us?
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect from or about you is accurate, complete and up to date. You have a right to request correction of personal information that we hold about you. If you believe that the personal information we hold about you is not correct, please let us know by contacting our Privacy Officer. The contact details are set out in section 7 above. We will respond to your request within a reasonable period after your request is made.
9. Are we likely to disclose your personal information to overseas recipients, and if so, in what countries are those recipients likely to be located?
10. What to do if you are unhappy with us?
If you wish to make a complaint against how we manage your personal information or you think we may have breached the Australian Privacy Principles, please contact our Privacy Officer at the address set out in section 7 above. The Privacy Officer will deal with your complaint.
Please ensure that you provide us with sufficient details of your complaint. We will promptly acknowledge your complaint, investigate it and respond to you. We will attempt to respond to you within 15 business days of receiving your complaint but in any event no later than 30 business days. If we need further information, we will contact you.
If for any reason you are not satisfied with the Privacy Officer’s response, you may raise your complaint with the Office of the Information Commissioner. You can contact the Office of the Information Commissioner as follows:
- By phone: 1300 363 992 By using the Privacy Complaint Form of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
- Via the internet website: http://www.privacy.gov.au/
- By mail: see the Office of the Information Commissioner website for postal details and warnings regarding mail and email usage.
Should you wish to read more information about the privacy legislation or the Australian Privacy Principles, we recommend that you visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website at http://www.privacy.gov.au/.
11. Contact details for HSBEIL