Strategy advisory and business models
Strategic steering that identifies the right markets to grow your portfolio successfully
Munich Re’s Global Consulting experts go beyond traditional reinsurance activity. Our aim is to consult insurance companies about new and emerging subjects in their respective fields, define ways to improve their existing business as well as identify value adding supplements to their current insurance portfolios. We also act as an experienced sparring partner for many strategic decisions to be made in an insurance operation.
Identify the right markets, including niches while successfully and strategically steering insurance operations.
Our support includes, but is not limited to
- Market know-how and expertise, including an in-depth analysis of advantages and disadvantages of specific insurance markets
- Local underwriting support from Munich Re specialists for any given market including specific guidelines and rules as well as the identification of (un)attractive market segments
- Business plan and set-up support, including the refinement of the general strategy for new markets
- Regulatory support which makes use of global Munich Re contacts to gain easier access to important stakeholders in various insurance markets
- Tailor-made product development solutions alongside a global team of Munich Re experts when entering new markets
- Claims consulting, e.g. finding appropriate service providers
- Pricing and monitoring support
Some highlights from our extensive range of services
New market entry can come in many forms – like a new class of business, completely transforming an existing business, going to another country or into a new geographical region.
Our consultation provides you with the technical, regulatory, actuarial and legal know-how as well as with deep insurance insight all non-life classes of business and their special features in any given market around the world. No matter what challenge you face: We know the dos and don’ts in the insurance markets globally and can offer support and appropriate solutions for you.
In addition, we have supported many start-ups in various markets from scratch to starting operations by advising them on each and every aspect along the insurance value chain.
Apart from successfully supporting start-up companies or start-up solutions in Europe, South East Asia, China and South Africa we have also supported insurers to
- first make their business more profitable and
- then to help them grow their business on a continuously profitable basis by introducing state of the art pricing models, more advanced monitoring tools new products etc.
One of these companies has been growing by over 400% over the seven year period that we have been working with them so far and they continue to grow at a strong pace. Others where our project phase has been shorter have also been growing at 10% to 15% per annum.
- Direct insurer in South Eastern Europe – profitable after year 5
- First direct insurer in South East Asia – profitable after year 3
- Direct insurer in Southern Europe – profitable after year 4
- Successful entry in commercial motor insurance in East Asia and South East Asia – profitable within the first 3 years
- International expansion of a leading direct insurer – ongoing
- Building up a commercial telematics book in North America – ongoing
- Working with various private equity firms to turn around unprofitable insurers – ongoing